- Tuesday to Friday 10 a.m. – 5.30 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Every Wednesday 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., from October 17, 2018 to January 16, 2019.
- Without temporary exhibition: single price: 4.50 €
- With temporary exhibition: single price: 6 €
(includes entrance to all the museum’s temporary exhibits)
The entrance to the museum is free for visitors under 26 and the first Sunday of every month.
Buy my ticket online
Booking for groups:
The permanent exhibition Repères (Markers) examines two centuries of immigration in a space of over more than 1,100m2
Its thematic approach takes historical chronology into account. Indeed, beyond all their differences, the people who have settled in France since the 19th century have encountered the same hardships, undergone the same decisive experiences and held the same hopes.
The visit is organized in three parts punctuated by nine thematic sequences.
- The first part relates the experience of immigration and presents the reasons for leaving, the choice of France, the voyage, the confrontation with the State and public opinion.
- The second part deals with housing, work, school, participation in collective struggles, acquiring French nationality, sports...
- The third and last part sheds light on the successive contributions of cultures from highly diversified origins through language, religious practices, the arts, literature, music but also through everyday objects.
Each of the nine sequences opens with an introductory text on vertical aluminum panels. These sequences include:
- Display stands presenting historical content composed of texts and chronological references, photos, documents from the archives and film excerpts;
- Display cases with objects and personal accounts highlighting life experiences;
- Large installations of fixed or animated images illustrating the connection between these individual stories and collective history;
- Historic and contemporary artworks that add the emotion of an artist’s approach.
Download the guide to the visit